Aleksandar Mitrovic denied from spot in Fulham’s goalless draw at Wolves

The Wolves goalkeeper José Sá ensured his side took a point by saving Aleksandar Mitrovic’s late penalty in a goalless draw against Fulhamat Molineux.

Mitrovic, who scored twice last week in Fulham’s opening-day draw against Liverpool, was handed the chance to snatch all three points for his side in the 81st minute when the referee, John Brooks, pointed to the spot after Rayan Aït-Nouri’s ill-timed challenge on Bobby Decordova-Reid.

Mitrovic looked set to score his 45th league goal in as many appearances after his record-breaking feat in the Championship last season, but Sá dived to his right to keep out the forward’s spot-kick.

There had been no complaints about Brooks’s penalty decision but, on the balance of play on a baking afternoon, justice was served when Sá guessed correctly to make sure the points were shared.

Wolves began at breakneck speed in scorching temperatures as Pedro Neto and Hwang Hee-chan both forced the Fulham goalkeeper Marek Rodak into action. Neto was brilliantly picked out by Daniel Podence but his angled drive was blocked and the Wolves forward then headed the rebound back across the face of goal. Next, Hwang sprinted into a one-on-one with Rodak after Neto’s excellent pass but his effort was also blocked.

Mitrovic’s wild volley over the top in his side’s first attack was met with huge cheers by the home faithful, but Fulham threatened again soon after when Decordova-Reid’s downward header from Andreas Pereira’s corner was cleared by Rúben Neves close to the goalline.

Rodak’s gaffe then presented Neto with another opening, but he missed his chance to take aim at an open goal and Podence skewed the loose ball wide.

The home side should have broken the deadlock in the 53rd minute. Aït-Nouri’s perfect low cross presented Morgan Gibbs-White with a tap-in, but the England Under-21 forward failed to convert.

The Wolves manager, Bruno Lage, sent on new signing Gonçalo Guedes for his first appearance in the 57th minute, with Hwang making way. The Portugal forward’s darting runs helped stretch Fulham’s defence, but the visitors held firm at the back and continued to pose problems of their own going forward.

Neeskens Kebano forced Sá into a rare save at his near post and the home fans grew restless. Lage sent on Adama Traoré and Nélson Semedo for Neto and Jonny respectively with 12 minutes remaining, but the dice rolled in Fulham’s favour in the 80th minute.

Decordova-Reid went tumbling under Aït-Nouri’s misjudged tackle and Brooks did not hesitate in pointing to the spot, only for Sá to deny Mitrovic.

Mitrovic and Gibbs-White clashed in added time as tempers flared after the former’s late challenge, with both players leaning in with their foreheads to earn themselves bookings.